> Wormhole, W.I.P.
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 8 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: Members +15 posts
Member No.: 199

After submitting two music-pieces I thought it's time posting an image again. Well, this time I want to make everything as perfect as I can (emphasis on "can", I know that I'm probably one of the worst artists around here tongue.gif ). This is why I want to build it up "perfectly" from the beginning on instead of revising every pixel after submission. Or, in other words, I'll be posting major steps in order to make editing easier and/or going back.

Enough being said, this is what I have so far:

As you can see, this is the very basic shape it'll have, the title is kinda derived from what I wanted it to look like. At the beginning I wasn't really sure if this is supposed to be something spacey or a cave-scene. Well, I decided it shall be the first one tongue.gif

Anyways, any comments/critique? Suggestions are more than welcome, regardless of what kind they are. Details will be worked on soon, I've only used the 300, 100, and 45px basic brush so far biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Cookies for the ones that post what was their first thought when they saw this image. Just being curious =D

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 10 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Another hour that I invested. Mainly I was caring for refining details. Using the 21, 13, and 5px brush this time. Any idea of how small I shall go with the brush? Using the 1px one on a 4000x3000 canvas seems a little ridiculous, tbh.

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 11 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Meh, I got a problem. I've planned to put a space ship into the bottom left corner but I really suck at drawing them. I've spent about an hour trying to get at least the basic sketch right; without any success. My problem is the perspective, it just drives me insane. Can anybody tell me what is the best approach for drawing a spaceship from behind?

Btw, latest version so far:

+Quote Post
   gucken
post Sep 12 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Group: Lum Artists
Member No.: 23

Okay, this is tough, but since no one posted any comments in the last 3 days in this topic, I'm just going to say it, but please keep in mind that this is just my opinion.
I don't know how much "wip"ish this piece is at the moment, but I think that the composition and current state of the image have to be improved.. maybe more than only a bit, I'm afraid sad.gif

it's very hard to create a wormhole that has to be believable for the viewer, since no one really knows how one would look like, but right now your image resembles the following more than a wormhole:
I don't know the english term for it, in german we say "Eisenspäne". But do you know the experiment with which to visualize magnetic lines of forces?
In that experiment they use those "cuttings" from "metal?" and the result looks like this: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldlinie (image on the upper right)

regarding the composition: the focal point is pretty much dead centered at the moment, which doesnt have to be a bad thing, but is pretty hard to work on.
however, I believe that a position like this can increase the awesomeness of the end-result smile.gif

Right now, the major problem is that the whole piece looks very static and frozen in time. To avoid that, I think it's necessary to tone down the details and hardness of your brush and work with bluriness and softness.
A perfect example is one of my favourite sci-fi series (of all time tongue.gif): Stargate Atlantis http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wormhole

p.s.: That must be a huge planet over there in your piece O.O

I'm no expert in painting spaceships from behind, but I think it's helpful (well, in all cases it's helpful to do that) to think in basic shapes first and work yourself higher in the level of detail and complexity after that

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 12 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

A review!

Yeh, I get your point. True, after you've said this, it really looks like those magnetic field lines. Man, good times. That was back in the days when I understood every single element in physics tongue.gif

Anyways, thanks for your input. Initially, I wanted to soften the outer parts but forgot about that. Seems like it's really essential.
I feel like it's easier to remove details than to add them later on, so that should be comparably easy. I hope. If not... I still have the option of renaming it to "Frozen Wormhole" tongue.gif Just kidding, I'll try my best on this.

About the spaceship; I worked on it last night. Technically, I spent 2 hours for placing 14 lines. Another hour so far for the basic shading. I can only repeat what I already said; I suck at drawing them tongue.gif
This is what I have so far (very likely to change):

Looks that I'll need some more help in there...

The planet really got a little big, I just wanted to fill up some space in there tongue.gif

Again, thanks for your critique! I really appreciate it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 13 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Alright, after several countless attempts to draw a spaceship I went the easier way: finding a free 3d model and adjusting it to my means. Also, I took some of gucken's advices into consideration and applied them. The result is this:

+Quote Post
   gucken
post Sep 14 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Group: Lum Artists
Member No.: 23

right now, what really bugs me about this piece, is the structure of the wormhole-borders.
in an exaggerated way it looks like this in my opinion:

(figure on the top left)
and it should look more like the figure on the right or in the bottom, in my opinion

also it still looks quite sketchy as there are several "independent" lines in the wormhole "cloak" itself
furthermore, I'm not really sure if adding a planet inside a wormhole is a good thing to do, as it requires even more energy than the universe has to create a stable wormhole in which only a spaceship can fit in with its size.
and i think the spaceship with all its 3dish looks wouldnt fit in with the rest of the piece due to too different looking styles

also, in my opinion, a half-seethroughable background like in that stargate picture I showed to you would be really cool biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 15 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Alright, thanks, man! I've tried to follow your advise (I love days where school doesn't last till 6pm; you can actually do something =D ), with the following result:

I guess I overdid the large starfield a little bit, though :/

But, as you suggested, I made the whole thing a little "rounder" (didn't want to make it perfectly ellipsoidal since that would look a little monotonous), removed/smudged out any line which wasn't in place which also made the whole deal a lot smoother. Planet is now outside and got a little "brother".

Again, thank you for all the advise you've given me so far! I really appreciate your help!

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 18 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Fixed up a few things and finally added a background. Any opinions?

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 20 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Sorry, gucken, I'm just physically incapable of drawing a space-ship which fits better. I tried my very best to fix everything you've mentioned but that's really my limit. Probably already 110%. Maybe, I'll make a remake of it in a year or so but as of now, this is everything I can offer:

+Quote Post
   Akajork
post Sep 21 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Founder
Group: Founder
Member No.: 9

this is defenately improved a lot since the first wip you posted smile.gif

I think what is missing here is some depth of field.. it feels flat. try to add atmospheric depth of field by adding some atmosphere. make that light really glow!

We are all storytellers night after night, for even the most inartistic of us can still dream like masters.

http://www.akajork.com/

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 22 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

Thanks, mate! I tried my very best to put the final touch-ups in there (which aren't really noticeable, I must admit), but I must say, I really failed at the perspective. I don't know how many hours I spent on adding a few glows and some minor things, but it was quite a lot. Probably 2-3 hours. Yes, I'm slow, I know. Also, it's a bad day for me anyways, I have a Physics exam tomorrow for which I've studied pretty much and now my head just feels like trash tongue.gif

So... umh...
Thanks again to both of you for your criticism! Maybe, this piece looks just average to you but for me it's like a step onto a whole new level. You guys rock!

+Quote Post
   Kaizerwolf
post Sep 27 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Newly Born
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,101

I'm thinking; how about this?

Make the wormhole itself a tiny bit transparent, and have there be a background of stars and the planets that you put in? Only thinking, and as I have no expertise with digital art i Have no idea if it's possible or not...

It's still good though! biggrin.gif

Who wants a very large and very overly frosted cupcake?!

+Quote Post
   Alone
post Oct 14 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 605

looks nice.
i think it could use some blues and some stars/nebula

or even better...something being sucked in. =p

gj happy.gif

I <3 BLUE!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version