> Venting
   Badbrush
post Oct 14 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Respected Member
Group: Lum Artists
Member No.: 4,976

Does anyone else have a director that says I want you to produce art like this [Destiny] but in 4 hours and for peanuts and if you can't release artwork from other companies of something similar then produce something for free so that I can use it to bid for a job........grrrrr. It's not so much that its a one off, I'm getting run down from producing every waking hour. 40 paintings last month.

Feel free to tell me to man up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   Stu Ballinger
post Oct 14 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Respected Member
Member No.: 4,994

Some people seem to think that once you can produce art, you can do it incredibly quickly with incredible results. You just gotta tell him that it's impossible to produce that quality of work that quickly.

+Quote Post
   Badbrush
post Oct 16 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Respected Member

QUOTE (Stu Ballinger @ Oct 15 2013, 12:04 AM) *
Some people seem to think that once you can produce art, you can do it incredibly quickly with incredible results. You just gotta tell him that it's impossible to produce that quality of work that quickly.

Yeah, I sent an email listing the artist provided in the link at the time, as I recognised a few of the styles and the time they spend on them. That they are pretty much the best in the business [Andrew Wallinn for one] and I got the reply 'can you produce something for free in your spare time so I can bid for a job.'

The stuff I'm doing at the moment in about 1/2 a work day is this kind of quality [Link 1] [Link 2] [Link3]

So it felt like a real kick in the teeth and 'the produce for free so I can bid for a job' Was like saying we don't need you, you need us. I don't tend to mind when companies just starting up do this as they wouldn't know. However a few have been in business for 20 odd years and know how long things take to produce but they seem to make these type of comments the most often, so I start to wonder.

Sorry for all that I just had enough of the worthless nature of it all.

+Quote Post
   Stu Ballinger
post Oct 18 2013, 03:21 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Respected Member
Member No.: 4,994

Working for free just isn't fair in the first place. I mean, it's fine if it's a favour for a friend or something, but for a company with no personal connection, where is their right to ask you for free high-quality work?
These people sound like assholes to deal with.

+Quote Post
   Clyde Machine
post Oct 18 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Luminarium junky
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 990

Really? A company asked you to reduce the value of your time to $0, for a piece of incredible quality?

Did you ask them if they were joking? :P

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." --Joseph Addison

+Quote Post
   Badbrush
post Oct 19 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Respected Member

QUOTE (Clyde Machine @ Oct 18 2013, 09:16 PM) *
Really? A company asked you to reduce the value of your time to $0, for a piece of incredible quality?

Did you ask them if they were joking? :P

Wrote that I would send them an invoice for it, so that they could provide accurate prices for the job.

+Quote Post
   Smiling Demon
post Oct 21 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Co-Founder / Community Development
Group: Lum Administration
Member No.: 6

Those are quality pieces mate, shouldn't be given away for free.

www.alastairtemple.co.uk

Chaz says:
vera got into a relationship with v4. He's hitting her.
My goat left me.
SD isn't scottish anymore but dutch.
Tobi said **** you against jeff, now is jeff angry.
Cees is just being cees.
Goldenx isn't in lum

+Quote Post
   Badbrush
post Oct 23 2013, 09:32 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Respected Member

QUOTE (Smiling Demon @ Oct 21 2013, 10:58 PM) *
Those are quality pieces mate, shouldn't be given away for free.

Ahhh I don't give images away for free, those images above were just examples of the stuff i'm getting done at the moment. They've all been paid for.

The reply I got today from the same director was could you produced 2 images for free with the justification being they can be your portfolio pieces.

I shook my head in amazement, then my eyes fell out.

+Quote Post
   Kaioshen
post Nov 1 2013, 04:43 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Master of cake
Member No.: 131

Honestly, I'd tell them to fuck off in the nicest way possible. Nothing we do should be given away for free or cheap. We spend our time developing work for other and have the right to be compensated for it. Make sure what you do for them is worth the time and money or else your being overworked and underpaid.

I just read the latest bit you posted about the "portfolio pieces." I would flat out tell them to fuck off. Such complete disrespect.

+Quote Post
   grungetv
post Nov 1 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Member No.: 246

QUOTE (Kaioshen @ Nov 1 2013, 04:43 AM) *
Honestly, I'd tell them to fuck off in the nicest way possible. Nothing we do should be given away for free or cheap. We spend our time developing work for other and have the right to be compensated for it. Make sure what you do for them is worth the time and money or else your being overworked and underpaid.

I just read the latest bit you posted about the "portfolio pieces." I would flat out tell them to fuck off. Such complete disrespect.

+1!!!

Well said Bobby! on fire.png

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version