> WIP City of Mist
   Somni
post Jun 4 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Robotic Being
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 91

I've been experimenting a lot with digital painting lately and I'd like some feedback on this piece I'm working on.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   priteeboy
post Jun 4 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Member No.: 599

The rocks at the moment look too smooth, not just texture-wise, but I mean, they would have the same profile/cross-section as a sand-castle (well, not an actual castle, just the lumps of padded sand people like me would make laugh.gif ) Rocks often will have wide flat areas or "facets" where they have broken which are often a rather uniform shade...Hmm, it's hard to describe, But here's two examples, each with different "amounts" of what I mean.

http://pr3t3nd3r.deviantart.com/art/Ether-96391482 I linked to this one since the biggest rock is a good example, it obviously has broken at some stage, half the rock is a bit rounded and smooth like you have drawn here, but the half facing right is a (relatively) clean-cut face wink.gif

Of course, waterfalls erode rocks and can wear them smoother again, so here's a photo with rock-types that may be more fitting to your scene (I only showed the first oe to illustrate my point) http://tfavretto.deviantart.com/art/Beaver-Falls-97601291 however even here it's still a bit evident, particularly on the left on the big rock just under that fallen log, there seems to be a mix of smooth, eroded parts and flatter surfaces where part was broken off a long time ago smile.gif

And to top this off, this tutorial is pretty good http://nathie.deviantart.com/art/Rocks-Are-Hard-116519715

I'm a big Geology fan, I may not know squat about painting futuristic cities, convincing characters or any of that - but when it comes to rocks, I'm your man tongue.gif

Why is delivering things by car called "shipment", while delivering things by ship is called "cargo"?

+Quote Post
   Somni
post Jun 4 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Robotic Being
Member No.: 91

Thanks for the advice Priteeboy smile.gif

+Quote Post
   Smiling Demon
post Jun 5 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Co-Founder / Community Development
Group: Lum Administration
Member No.: 6

yeh it looks earlie days but the rocks do look too smooth, other than that I think it has alot of potential.

www.alastairtemple.co.uk

Chaz says:
vera got into a relationship with v4. He's hitting her.
My goat left me.
SD isn't scottish anymore but dutch.
Tobi said **** you against jeff, now is jeff angry.
Cees is just being cees.
Goldenx isn't in lum

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version