Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lucid Dreaming, Don't know what it is? You'll want to read this, TRUST me.
   Clyde Machine
post Apr 28 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Luminarium junky
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 990

*walks into classroom*
Class: Mr. Machine! What have you brought us to learn today?
Clyde: Well, folks, I've got something new in the world of psychology for you to learn today!
Class: Psychology? Oh God....
Clyde: Now, now, children! You're going to enjoy this. To begin: Do you know what lucid dreaming is?
Class: *silence*

The website named Dreamviews, which I frequent very often these days, has an excellent description of lucid dreaming and the scope of what can be done with it. For those who don't know, lucid dreams are those dreams in which you are aware that you are no longer awake, and that you're living inside a dream. This allows dreamers to take control of every aspect of their surroundings and the people within them, changing anything and everything at will, even their own bodies. Sounds crazy? It is. Sounds awesome? It is. Sounds like something you're interested in? I hope so. Why?

Because I'm huge into the induction of lucid dreams, and love talking about it with people. And, of course, who better to talk about it with than other artists and musicians, other creative minds? I hope I'm not the only lucid dreamer here, and I hope I've interested at least one person in learning about lucid dreams - the more people who I can talk about this with, the merrier the whole experience becomes! So far the only people who I've talked to who know anything about it are, you guessed it, on the Dreamviews message boards. While they are many in number and all interesting folks to talk to, I know very few of them like I know you guys and gals, so I'm opening this topic to draw in other lucid dreamers to engage in discussion, as well as interest new people to start into this whole lucid dreaming induction thing. It's worth the effort put in to learn it, and I encourage ANYone and EVERYone to look into it, whether you use Wikipedia or Dreamviews or Stephen LaBerge's book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming to learn more about it.

And with that, the floor is open! Questions and discussion and exclamations and stories are all welcomed! biggrin.gif

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." --Joseph Addison

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   Sneaky
post Apr 28 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Luminarium junky
Group: Webmaster
Member No.: 4

This sounds like a really cool concept, although I'm not sure I would want to devote the time training myself while I was awake just to experience it a few times a month. IT does make me sort of want to try it though.

We are LP artists, not taggers
tsjsneaky.deviantart.com

Gifts:.:X:..:X:..:X:.

+Quote Post
   Somni
post Apr 28 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Robotic Being
Member No.: 91

How would one go about lucid dreamin? Do you cause your own lucid dreaming or only experience once in a while?

+Quote Post
   momentica-1
post Apr 28 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Inspiring Member
Group: * Former Artist
Member No.: 374

ive been afraid of lucid dreams ever since i was a kid, for some reason. Whenever i found myself in one i would force myself to wake up and find myself in cold sweat and breathing heavily. I don't get how people can enjoy it, and i don't understand why im afraid of falling into one either.

+Quote Post
   Chris Cold
post Apr 28 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Inspiring Member
Group: Lum Artists
Member No.: 956

Hmmm well, i can't say i experienced exactly the same thing you are talking about, I have sleep disorders since i was 6.
Basically i can control all of my dreams (except the ones i forget, i guess) however it's just has to do with imagination i suppose. It's the same as just relaxing with closed eyes and thinking about something and imagining it. Can be also called meditation. That's what a lucid dream is for me... It's just not being absolutely asleep.
I define dreaming or sleeping in general simply as an activity when my brain doesn't perform the same "calculations" (to sound more nerdy) as it does when i'm awake... so if my brain is really that active when sleeping, then it's not sleeping tongue.gif
so on a scale from unconsciousness to awake lucid dreaming is somewhere in the middle

+Quote Post
   Smiling Demon
post Apr 28 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Co-Founder / Community Development
Group: Lum Administration
Member No.: 6

I've experienced this a little bit, although normaly its just before I wake up I have something that seems to fit the description very well. But not very often, tbh I don't seem to dream that often any more at all sad.gif

www.alastairtemple.co.uk

Chaz says:
vera got into a relationship with v4. He's hitting her.
My goat left me.
SD isn't scottish anymore but dutch.
Tobi said **** you against jeff, now is jeff angry.
Cees is just being cees.
Goldenx isn't in lum

+Quote Post
   Chris Cold
post Apr 28 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Inspiring Member
Group: Lum Artists
Member No.: 956

I've experienced this a little bit, although normaly its just before I wake up I have something that seems to fit the description very well. But not very often, tbh I don't seem to dream that often any more at all

People actually dream all the time when they sleep, they just don't remember every single dream they had and sometimes don't remember anything at all. Some pills or medicine can cause this too, i guess also drugs... are you sure you're not taking anything fancy ;D

+Quote Post
   encoretheangel
post Apr 28 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: * Former Artist
Member No.: 833

sounds really cool yet makes me affraid too, I just knew lucid dream now from clyde and hope I would not get that lucid dream for ever and ever... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
   Kaioshen
post Apr 28 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Master of cake
Member No.: 131

Is this aka deep sleeping? If so, I hate that shit. Whenever I have one, I KNOW I'm awake and that's when it all happens. I can almost hear all of my surroundings, yet have very little to no control over my body aside from the slightest twitch. My heart-rate climbs while my breathing stays the same, which for most people isn't very good cause that will cause you to breathe harder, which of course again, I can't control. So I find myself having to calm myself down while I'm freaking "sleeping," wtf?!

Anyway, I'm sure to those who have tried it is cool for them but don't think it's for me. Though I do like the idea of controlling your dreams.

+Quote Post
   Somni
post Apr 28 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Robotic Being
Member No.: 91

No it's different. What you described is something called Sleep Paralysis. My roommate has had it several times.

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Apr 29 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: Members +15 posts
Member No.: 199

So, correct me if I got this wrong (never heard of that before), but lucid dreaming is a stage of sleep where you actually have control over the things happening in your dreams? Yeh, I've had that several times, and I must say: THAT'S AWESOME!

Quite funny when you can decide willingly what you want to do. I remember, I once revised a program's logic (which I have never grasped before) inside of a dream and suddenly knew how it worked! Afterwards, I woke up at like 4am and couldn't go back to sleep because I was so amazed at it tongue.gif

Other things included me bending the laws of physics (and I quoth: "let there be no gravity!" - and there was no gravity; and I quoth: "go away you... thing!" - and the thing disappeared.....), deciding to behave like a social troll inside of a huge crowd of people (which I'd never EVER do), and other actions that I wouldn't even think of in real life. Sadly, I cannot recall any recent dreams that I've actively manipulated. But after all, it's a pretty funny deal laugh.gif

I always wondered if there are more people that are into that kind of things. I guess, the answer is: yes tongue.gif

+Quote Post
   Clyde Machine
post Apr 30 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Luminarium junky
Member No.: 990

Can I just, like, hit "QUOTE" on this entire topic? XD

@Sneaky: It depends on the method you choose - they don't take much training, only the will to have lucid dreams. Also, if enough effort is put into it you can have lucid dreams almost every night that you so choose to have one. I've come close to that, had four lucid dreams over four nights in a row. biggrin.gif

@Somni: There are several ways you can do it, with methods like the "dream-initiated lucid dream" (DILD), "wake-induced lucid dream" (WILD), "mneumonic-induced lucid dream" (MILD), etc. There are many methods, but those are three very common ones. And yes, you cause your own lucid dreaming, and as stated before, with enough practice you can have them whenever you want them to occur. To the best of my knowledge, I've never met anyone online who's learned to have them to the point where they had them all the time even if they didn't want them, only a few folks who say they can have lucid dreams every night and even multiple times a night, which is definitely possible. At first you may experience them once in a while, with or without practice - they're a natural phenomenon, you're just inducing the event more often than usually occurs.

QUOTE (momentica-1 @ Apr 28 2010, 02:35 AM) *
ive been afraid of lucid dreams ever since i was a kid, for some reason. Whenever i found myself in one i would force myself to wake up and find myself in cold sweat and breathing heavily. I don't get how people can enjoy it, and i don't understand why im afraid of falling into one either.
@momentica-1: Afraid of knowing you're in a dream? I can totally see where someone can be afraid of the idea of being within a dream and knowing so - however, they're as harmless as non-lucid dreams, and you can willingly wake yourself up from a lucid dream easier than you can willingly stay inside one. People can enjoy them because you can be inside your own house, your favourite classroom, or your workplace, and be able to do the absolute craziest unimaginable things ever, with no consequences, because it's all in your mind. If that doesn't sound fun, I don't know what is! smile.gif And of course that's only one fragment of an example, check out some of the stuff I've done with mine!

@Chris Cold: I've seen similar arguments, since the scientific studies of lucid dreaming (my main source for such things is "Lucid Dreaming" the book by psychophysiologist Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D.) show that your brain is close to being as active during lucid dreaming as it is while awake. It's a definite gray area of the definition of dreaming and sleeping, because lucid dreaming turns our conventional definition on its head to a degree. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Smiling Demon @ Apr 28 2010, 06:12 AM) *
I've experienced this a little bit, although normaly its just before I wake up I have something that seems to fit the description very well. But not very often, tbh I don't seem to dream that often any more at all sad.gif
Yeah, no matter how short a dream might be, as long as you know you're dreaming, it's lucid.

QUOTE (Chris Cold @ Apr 28 2010, 06:46 AM) *
People actually dream all the time when they sleep, they just don't remember every single dream they had and sometimes don't remember anything at all. Some pills or medicine can cause this too, i guess also drugs... are you sure you're not taking anything fancy ;D
Correct - during the average night of an eight-hour sleep session a person can have 5 REM (rapid-eye movement) phases, which are usually where dreams occur.

@encoretheangel: Afraid?? Noooooo, don't be afraid of the experience of lucid dreaming, it's just being aware that you're asleep and that everything before you is a construct of your imagination. I've been faced with the question of whether or not it can be dangerous, and in challenging myself to research that very topic, I turned up absolutely no results on what lucid dreaming could do to harm a person. There's nothing to be afraid of, only fun to be had and even some problem-solving opportunities if you find the need for it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kaioshen @ Apr 28 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Is this aka deep sleeping? If so, I hate that ****. Whenever I have one, I KNOW I'm awake and that's when it all happens. I can almost hear all of my surroundings, yet have very little to no control over my body aside from the slightest twitch. My heart-rate climbs while my breathing stays the same, which for most people isn't very good cause that will cause you to breathe harder, which of course again, I can't control. So I find myself having to calm myself down while I'm freaking "sleeping," wtf?!

Anyway, I'm sure to those who have tried it is cool for them but don't think it's for me. Though I do like the idea of controlling your dreams.
QUOTE (Somni @ Apr 28 2010, 03:54 PM) *
No it's different. What you described is something called Sleep Paralysis. My roommate has had it several times.
Well look at that, Somni's on top of things! Sleep paralysis can be just as you described, Kaioshen, though it's very different for everyone. I've experienced sleep paralysis many times, and every time it's been different. One on occasion, I felt it set in with a "wave" of tingling all over my body. Other times, I've felt my arms and legs go fuzzy, other times nothing at all, other times I'd feel it in my fingers and arms and nowhere else. It's a different experience, unlike anything else I've had happen to me before, but it's unrelated to lucid dreaming, since SP is what happens when your body goes into sleep, and lucid dreaming is the state of being aware that you're no longer awake.

@Blue Phoenix: Close - almost everyone who first discovers lucid dreaming believes that it's having control in your dreams. However, lucid dreams don't have to have control, just as non-lucid dreams can feature you having control of things in your dream without even knowing you're not awake! Lucid dreaming is being aware that you're dreaming. This gives way to having control over your surroundings, but it's not an absolute requirement to having control.

Those are some awesome experiences you've described. biggrin.gif And yes, the answer is indeed yes; there are some people who actually are lucid dreaming naturals, who are surprised at the fact that not everyone who has dreams can do things with them as they can. Others like me and most other people in the world don't always know we're asleep, but can learn to recognize when we are, to have lucid dreams more often.

An easy method I've used in the past to quickly get a lucid dream, albeit a short one, is that when I wake up from having a dream, I stay in the same position I wake up in, keep my eyes closed, and try to either recall my last dream or to create a new one, visualizing it in my mind, and go right back to sleep. This is a variation of the "WILD' method, called a "dream-exit induced lucid dream" (DEILD), and is very easy to do. Give it a try, let me know if you succeed!

**You'll notice I use Dreamviews.com as a source for these tutorials and as most of my sources for such information. When I first discovered the site, I found it to be completely satisfying of my learning needs for the induction of lucid dreaming, and the tutorials and information provided on that site are still as pertinent now as they were when I started. I've read books on lucid dreaming and poked around a few other sites, but when it comes to online sources DV is all you really need to get started if you're interested in lucid dreaming. I don't mean to advertise it here or anything, I'm just pointing out that most of my information comes from one source, to ensure you're all aware of where I get/got much my information from on lucid dreaming. smile.gif

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." --Joseph Addison

+Quote Post
   Kiodos
post May 1 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Newly Born
Group: Members
Member No.: 272

I know I'm new here, but this is a topic that interests me... haha.

But I felt I was on the verge of a Lucid Dream a couple nights ago. When I was dreaming, I realized in the dream, "Hey I'm dreaming." And I tried to change things within the dream but shortly after I was woken up by my alarm. I know some of the starting things you have to do, like every once in a while in real life your supposed to ask yourself, "Am I Dreaming?" Amongst other things.

The surprising thing is when I spoke to my Dad about this, he said he's always had lucid dreams. To where he can choose what he wants to dream about, relive a past dream and alter it as he sees fit. He said he didn't even know it had a name.

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post May 2 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: Members +15 posts
Member No.: 199

Man, the irony of my lucid dreams is that I only have them when I least expect them. The past couple nights, I've been trying to pay close attention to that kind of stuff -- yet, I haven't had any dream that I can remember. It seems that I can only dream like that if I don't think about it sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version