Blue Phoenix
post Aug 23 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: Members +15 posts
Member No.: 199

Hey all,
just recently I managed to finish this one. It is pretty much a remake of an older version (which I originally planned to use to apply to the luminarium. lol.). Well, partially I wanted to see how much I've improved over the last year, and because I just like this kind of theme.

Link to deviation-page

Tell me what you think about it.

Little background-story:
Earth had become an arid and deserted place. The few humans still alive were scattered around the globe. There was not much to see besides dried out river beds, dead trees, and the like.
Destiny had put Mars onto a new course. Every day, the red neighbor came closer ultimately intersecting with Earth's path. It was just a matter of time until the remaining life will be extincted by a collision that could not be larger in scale.
One man saw it happening, the day Earth died.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   priteeboy
post Aug 23 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 599

It actually looks quite real overall. Still - I commented tongue.gif

Why is delivering things by car called "shipment", while delivering things by ship is called "cargo"?

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Aug 23 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

QUOTE (priteeboy @ Aug 23 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Still - I commented tongue.gif

For some strange reason, this sentence scared the crap out of me ph34r.gif ("oh gosh, I get a comment from you, what have I done wrong?!")

Well, true, the planet is rather hard-edged but I'm not so sure about the outer-glow-deal. I've researched a little to ensure Mars has no visible atmosphere (click me); that's why omitted any idea to add glow to it. This might be a little too much stuck-to-realism, though. I could try smoothing/blurring the border a little; post-working a planet into the image is probably a little (or actually a whole lot) over my current skill level - unfortunately.

Anyways, thank you very much for your comment! wink.gif

+Quote Post
   Roasted
post Aug 28 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Newly Born
Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,020

I think the lighting could be perfected just a little bit ,but nice piece overall smile.gif

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Aug 28 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

QUOTE (Roasted @ Aug 28 2009, 06:24 AM) *
I think the lighting could be perfected just a little bit ,but nice piece overall smile.gif

Thank you!

About the lighting, can you explain me how I should improve it? I'd be really glad if you could tell me how this can be enhanced. You know, I spent quite a bit on adjusting the lighting so that photo and render match. I was a little picky about it; that's why I like to know in how far the lighting can be made better wink.gif

+Quote Post
   Clyde Machine
post Aug 28 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Luminarium junky
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 990

I don't know if I'm untrained in lighting for photomanipulation or if Roasted has a more light-sensitive eye than I do, but I think the lighting was done very well. They link seamlessly, with the exception that the light source on the left side seems quite large to have that many shadows on the ground in front of the man's face. The ground seems to reflect a light source that is either farther away, not as intense as the light source in the photo, or both.

So I guess I do agree with Roasted: if you can, move the light source farther to the left so it looks like the sun is farther away from the man and the environment -- that way, you won't have to tone it down at all, just move it farther back.

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." --Joseph Addison

+Quote Post
   -DS
post Sep 1 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 696

Outline of planet in the upper part should be more blured and blended in. Take a look at moon in the morning- Earh atmosphere make it blue and hardly noticable. Rest is nice, I like it more than previous version.

+Quote Post
   Blue Phoenix
post Sep 1 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict

QUOTE (Clyde Machine @ Aug 28 2009, 08:33 PM) *
So I guess I do agree with Roasted: if you can, move the light source farther to the left so it looks like the sun is farther away from the man and the environment -- that way, you won't have to tone it down at all, just move it farther back.
Hmm, good that you mention this; I've been checking back after I calibrated my monitor (incredible how I could live with that wrong colors!). Well, now I see what you mean. I followed your idea to tone down the lighting just a little bit. Not too much, though, as the sun is actually located in the top left corner of the image (you can determine the exact position pretty well according to the shadows). Again, thanks for your advice.

QUOTE (-DS @ Sep 1 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Outline of planet in the upper part should be more blured and blended in. Take a look at moon in the morning- Earh atmosphere make it blue and hardly noticable. Rest is nice, I like it more than previous version.
Cheers, mate! I blurred the planet a teeny tiny bit to create some sort of smoother border.
About the deal with the moon and being hardly noticeable: I was going like this: the moon is about 300,000 kilometers away. Mars, as he is depicted in here, is probably about 20,000km away. As this is a lot closer (thus bigger), it's easier to see. To give some sort of analogy: you can see the moon between late evening and early morning, planets like, let's say, Jupiter, however, can be only seen when it's totally dark. Going from this would lead to the final result: the closer an object is, the easier it can be spotted.
To cut a long story short: thanks for your advice but except for the blur-part I don't think that I'll change it a whole lot.

---

So, here's the (slightly) updated version. You won't see much of a difference, actually.

Image is clickable =D

+Quote Post
   Landon
post Mar 14 2018, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Newly Born
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,511

The formatting of this post is dreadful. As someone who does the best paper writing every week, reading this post was a disaster for me. This post gets a 0 rating from me and the reason is quite simple.

+Quote Post
   alvinaash
post Jun 25 2018, 06:43 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 5,502

logo design service

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version