> Overcoming Technology Impairments
   GratuitousEsquir...
post Mar 23 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Newly Born
Group: New Members
Member No.: 778

I dunno about all of you, but I'm not exactly a rich dude. As it stands, my Photoshop is pirate, as is my C4D, my tablet was a gift too. At the moment I want to do more but I cant seem to do what I want because I cant afford equipment. Anybody have any tips to get around this barrier?

Yeah, I cant seem to stop using my other alias. So sue me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
   .turtlehead
post Mar 23 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members +15 posts
Member No.: 722

You've got what you need, you can do anything from photo manipulation to digital painting, even web development if you wanted too, you don't have a barrier, only what you allow yourself to be restricted by, hell you could freelance with just MS Paint, if you really wanted to.

PS. wouldn't recommend discussing pirate stuff on forums, though.

+Quote Post
   CCA
post Mar 23 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Group: * Former Artist
Member No.: 26

Most people really think better gear always makes better results. Its a well known fact that this isnt true. The most important thing i think is rethinking the concept and meaning behind a piece. Time and patience are the 2 most important things you need.

"Minimalism is art."

+Quote Post
   asoldier
post Mar 23 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

The Luminarium Host
Group: Host Provider
Member No.: 103

Remember that saying? "Knowledge is power"... not "money....". Without the most up-to-date software to do what you want, you know what that makes you? An artist, with outdated software... but you're still an artist.

What I'm saying is, the current skill level you have right now, will not be improved by getting up-to-date software. It get's improved by practice, ambition, and a rock-solid "I can do this" viewpoint, no matter how difficult the problem is.

There's probably a million PS tutorials out there, and dozens of ebooks for download, that will teach you really advanced techniques... and guess what, most of the old pros still use regular old PS and say "F...You Adobe Creative Suite!"... so stick with what you got, and one day, you'll land a nice job, get some dough, and buy that high-tech guru nerdy madness you want. But, in-the-end, you're still going to have that same set of skills. The only thing that might have changed, is the fact that it'll take 3x as long to install the shit, as the old PS and C4D >_<

<3 <3

David Bixler (asoldier)

+Quote Post
   Warp
post Mar 23 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Luminarium Addict
Member No.: 8

Couldn't agree more, all I have atm is photoshop and a small tablet, just thinking about having to learn something new again gives me the shivers. what you have will do just great, now it's time to really get to know the stuff you have and how to use it. Getting new "better" programs will take that all away again :/

PS:though I really must get going on learning blender more >.<

Biomechanical jazz, man
Carpe Noctem
http://warlock-warp.deviantart.com/

+Quote Post
   Dwood
post Mar 23 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Respected Member
Member No.: 113

I dread the day people can take images out of their heads and place them onto the web. I really do.

That day will come faster than any other resource from the brain.

+Quote Post
   asoldier
post Mar 23 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

The Luminarium Host

Jake 2.0?

David Bixler (asoldier)

+Quote Post
   priteeboy
post Mar 24 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 599

Yeah, many have stated what I had to say, for instance - I spent many years drawing with the mouse, many were surprised to find out I didn't make my first tablet-drawn work until November last year, but it's true - I produced good art with the mouse (three of which got DD's as proof) when everybody believed that good digital art could ONLY be done by tablet.

Having said that, better technology does help accelerate the process, sure I can draw with a mouse, but I can draw better and faster with the tablet, just like someone can make a good painting from basic paints and brushes, but even more opportunities come up again if they have a variety of extra tools.

But yes, all these things coast a LOT. I only have Photoshop because someone I know already had the entire box-set and they installed it on my laptop for me a few years ago, and have updated me everytime they bought a new version. That's proof at how sad it is that some artists will never find their true potential because they can't afford certain things, I didn't "shine" until I got given PS by this person a few years ago...and I wonder what would be of me now if I wasn't so lucky as to know someone who had it sad.gif (P.S, my C4D is pirate too, I initially got it to help me learn it since it was part of my 2-year digital media course, but I don't bother buying it since I never use it for anything more than making basic models that I paint over for Photoshopped scenes anyway...if your'e gonna blow a lot of money on a 3D program, better to save up for longer and get the best of the best, C4D isn't an industry-standard program, they all only care about 3Dstudio or Maya tongue.gif )

I've been lucky actually, the only two things I've had to pay for properly were my tablet and Vue 7 biggrin.gif and those two alone cost me well over $1000

Why is delivering things by car called "shipment", while delivering things by ship is called "cargo"?

+Quote Post
   .turtlehead
post Mar 24 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 722

C4D isn't an industry-standard program

Just to go off-topic, Cinema 4D is industry-standard, infact If my facts are straight, the animation 'Surfs Up' was done completely in cinema.. it's one of the best on the market, for beginners and professionals smile.gif

+Quote Post
   Akajork
post Mar 24 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Founder
Group: Founder
Member No.: 9

cinema is defenately not one of the best on the market.. I would say max and maya are.. but evey package has so many different abilities.. it is just what you preffer. Talking about industry-standard. Max is being used in games A LOT. Maya is being used in films more often.. and yets cinema is used in film from time to time.. but not a lot. Maya is still industry standard for film.

Anyways so many different packages.. its just what you like and what works best for you

We are all storytellers night after night, for even the most inartistic of us can still dream like masters.

http://www.akajork.com/

+Quote Post
   asoldier
post Mar 24 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

The Luminarium Host

Honestly, I hate to say it, but getting a DD is not proof of talent anymore. Some of you know what I mean.

David Bixler (asoldier)

+Quote Post
   priteeboy
post Mar 25 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

ETPcrew
Group: ś Senior Artist
Member No.: 599

Seems the Cinema 4D issue has raised different views, I had no idea that Surf's Up was Cinema 4D, if so - then it's the greatest thing I've seen made in it. Sometimes I see amazing Cinema 4D render's on deviantART too, but it's incredibly rare - as 90% of the 3D art I bother veiwing (which isn't much since it's mostly the same things - cars, achitecture or and abstarct mainly - all of which bore me no matter how good they are) - often have "Done in Maya" or "Done in Max" in their comments below it. It's tru that you should only get what makes you comfortable using, I'm pretty comfortable with C4D, but I can't see me getting a job with that (dosn't bother me, I just use 3D to enhance my 2D art - which is what I truely enjoy more anyway)

Yeah, some DD's really aren't that good, but at the risk of sounding too proud of myself, I think only one of mine was "undeserving" blink.gif

Why is delivering things by car called "shipment", while delivering things by ship is called "cargo"?

+Quote Post
   Ascillor
post Mar 25 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Inspiring Member
Member No.: 14

having better gear can definitely help. With my old comp, and 256 MB RAM, making large canvas pieces was a hassle, as PS got very slow and at times would freeze and I'd lose my work. I know this is the case for other people too. I worked around it by making a piece in various psds. I would apply the image every so often, and save it as a new .psd. It made going back to fix things a pain but it worked. Then having a bigger monitor allows you to work in bigger resolutions. And when it comes to 3D, who's going to get more practice in, the guy who can render in 15 minutes or the guy who has to wait a whole day for his render to finish? Plus the guy with the bad ram and speed might not even be able to render some complex objects. But again you could still work around this by rendering in parts, then putting the parts together in PS.

As has been said, ihaving good tools doesn't guarantee you'll be able to use them well. Although I do think it can be a big hindrance when you don't have good tools, like I mentioned with the 3d etc.

You haven't mentioned what your comp specs are, but it sounds like you have the basics, any tablet's better than none.

+Quote Post
   trezoid
post Mar 26 2009, 06:49 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Respected Member
Member No.: 29

It CAN help, but its not the be all and end all.

At the moment, I don't do much photography, but that is because I have a 5 year old point and shoot which requires truly ridiculous noise reduction. but I still TAKE photos.

And right now, I have a tablet sitting right next to my mouse, gathering dust. I don't use it very much.

And as to the discussion on C4D, its NOT an industry standard, because that is the autodesk stuff (maya and max).

Side note, I had a graphic design teacher try to tell a student that FIREWORKS was the industry standard. when I could actually breath again, we had a long discussion on how wrong he was.

Sometimes, we really are all that we can be...

+Quote Post
   Blitz
post Mar 26 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Respected Member
Group: * Former Artist
Member No.: 133

I agree with ascillor. I used to have a crappy 128mb of ram desktop..It lagged when I worked with large canvas's. In fact I could only work web size...Not to mention I couldnt even use illustrator Cs2, even when I overclocked my pc, of course I ended up getting a ram upgrade to 1gb, but didn't use it much since I went off to college within a few weeks of purchasing it. Just recenlty this past year, I got a 4g ram laptop which is perfect for designing imo. I use Illy cs2 and ps7...Ive been using ps7 for 3 years now, and its still great, I personally prefer it to the cs series, but thats just me. I guess overall to an extent tech matters, I mean if you dont have a good enough computer, you wont be able to do anything and I also do think that a bigger monitor does help with large canvas work, because this 15' im working on is a pain, because I miss spots when I work with print size, because I'm zoomed in on one aspect that I forget another. Also I do think that the Cs series and stuff is more user friendly and I guess does to an extent give you advantages and etc, I mean thats why its the "latest version" afterall, adobe wouldnt release a new version if it wasnt better then the previous. A perfect examples of this would be the warp tool, this tool is very useful, but it wasnt implemented into the 7.0 series unfortunately, sure there are ways to get the same results in 7 but its not as nice as just using the warp tool. Also back when i didnt have c4d I used photoshop to make renders for like tags and stuff, its a pain in the ass but youd be amazed what a little smudge/pentooling can make you...I feel very fortunate that my ps7 and illy were legit copies given to me from my teacher, I'm not exactly rich either ha.

+Quote Post
   Dwood
post Mar 29 2009, 02:23 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Respected Member
Member No.: 113

QUOTE (trezoid @ Mar 26 2009, 01:49 AM) *
Side note, I had a graphic design teacher try to tell a student that FIREWORKS was the industry standard. when I could actually breath again, we had a long discussion on how wrong he was.

It's the BEST program for editing .gif's is it not? That's pretty high up on the list.

In fact, I'm surprised GIMP, with all the support it has, ISN'T the industry standard- A few issues fixed and tbh it's just as good as Photoshop. Just needs that paint to 3d option.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version